Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I'm not sure about this book
I've been trying to write this book review for about a week now. It's been hard simply because I don't know how to feel about the book. The Great Gatsby set in the 1920's has its good parts and its bad parts.  If you go to school the chances are you are going to have to read the book eventually. Allow me to make your life a little easier by a summery. (warning spoilers)

The narrator of this book is Nick Carraway.
He is cousins with Daisy.
Daisy's husband, Tom, is having an affair with Myrtle.
Nick is the neighbor of Jay Gatsby.
Gatsby is in love with Daisy and about five years previously they had a thing but he had to go to war.
Gatsby throws lots of parties.
Nick and Gatsby become friends.
Nick somewhat helps set Gatsby up with Daisy.
Nick has a thing going with Jordan (who is incredibly annoying).
Shit happens.
Daisy runs over Myrtle with Gatsby's car.
Myrtles husband kills Gatsby.

The main problem I have with this book is the flow. It really doesn't start to get good until the last eighty pages. However when you read you cant help but fall in love with Gatsby. I would recommend this book to people who like classics. If you are looking for a thriller this isn't it. I would read it again.

I give this book three stars

No comments:

Post a Comment