Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

I don't know about this book
Like Iron Man 3 this book started out decent and then ended up being a hot mess. However, unlike Iron Man 3 this actually has some redeeming qualities to it. Sorry about my Iron Man 3 references but I'm still really upset by that entire mess of a movie.

Moving past that, I found most of the book to be very well written. For the most part I found that there was a perfect balance between dialogue and description, which, in my opinion, is really hard to do. I would like to remind for all those who want to become writers that it is possible to have too much description. And that's one of the things I found that happened every now and then in this book. Nobody wants to read a story that's all dialogue, so why would anybody want to read something that's all description? I forgive it in this book though because it only happened like two or three times to the point where I wanted to blow my brains out and because when there wasn't all that description it had a really good balance.

I, however, do not forgive the fact that this book is basically the same as every other fairy/fantasy book I've ever read. A lot of times I would be reading and I would find things that reminded me of Alice In Wonderland or other things along those lines. As I've said before it's impossible to have no ideas today because everything's already been done. I feel that Kagawa lacked adding the twist that this book needed to set it apart.

Overall I don't really know how I feel about this book. I probably wont read the second unless I'm really bored and cant find anything else to read, but, lets be honest there's always something else to read. There will always be the school library (where I got this book), the real library that's only a few minutes away, bookstores (despite their dwindling numbers), and now most recently the Kindle. In a world where books are so easily to access I don't have to settle for books that are just okay.

I give this book two and half stars

1 comment:

  1. New follower here. I stumbled across your blog through a goodreads thread and one of the main reasons i clicked the GFC button to follow was how you reviewed books.I like how you put the pictures you've taken and add the check mark and the red X. That definitely adds your won touch.

    I look forward to your future posts and hope i can get some great suggestions from your list of reviews.Hope i can see you back at either one of my blogs.(if you visit and are interested that is)

    twinjabookreviews.blogspot.com

    yamulticulturaljunkie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete