Friday, July 26, 2013

The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

I recommend this book
There are two reasons why I would finish a book in a day. One of them would be simply because the book is just that good. The second is because the power is out. I'm happy to report that I found a book worth reading in a single afternoon because it's just that good. I do have one problem with it though, but I'll get to that later.

Our story features Seraphina, a six hundred year old woman who has mastered the art of living forever. The only problem is to live forever she has to steal the bodies of somebody who is already living, thus killing them. Seraphina realizes what she's doing is wrong and plans to leave and die when her time in her current body is up. But when she tries to save the life of a teenage girl, Kailey, she ends up accidentally taking her body. While all this is going on she's also trying to get away from her evil boyfriend of six hundred years, Cyrus. Well there's your basic plot. I wasn't sure if I was going to be interested in a story like this. It sounded kind of cookie cutter. I was wrong. This book is amazing.

Williams has a good writing style, good characters, a good plot, and a great ending. And with the book being under three hundred pages it's an easy, relaxing, read. I'm really glad i picked it up. I enjoyed seeing Seraphina try to live as Kailey and I could see her struggles. With it being such a short book I was worried that the characters would be boring, but they weren't. Despite it's length I felt like I was getting a story that was more detailed than most.

Now, back to my problem. Despite how great this book was, one word just keeps popping into my head. And that word would be "average". I cant really explain why I feel this book was average, but that's just what I'm getting. I don't even know how to rate this book because despite it being amazing I cant stop thinking it was missing something, even if i don't know what it is. I would, however, recommend this book. I don't think anybody will be disappointed.

I give this book four stars

No comments:

Post a Comment