Sunday, May 11, 2014

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Best Book Ever
It's the end of the week, and I promised you a review of my new favorite book. I probably should have reviewed this like two weeks ago when I finished it, but oh well you're getting it now.

I could probably go on for hours and hours about how perfect this book and John Green are, but I'm not going to do that to you. I think everyone who has ever watched a John Green video knows why he's a perfect human child who can do no wrong. And anyone who's ever read a book of his knows why he's a great writer.

But for those of you who don't, here's a little run down. I think one of the best things John does in his writing is appeal to teenagers who aren't happy. None of his characters are ever the happiest people in the world, but they aren't the worst off either. I guess what I'm saying is that his characters are relatable.

While our main character is Pudge/Miles I felt most closely with Alaska. Like when she says that she smokes to die I get her because that is also why I smoke. She is moody, one second she acts romantic with Pudge and the next she is a bitch and that is also what I do to boys. She's a reader. She's a bad ass. Even with all the traits she still seems real to me.

I also really connected with Pudge, despite mostly connecting with Alaska. I liked the fact that he never got to really be with Alaska. In most cases when a main character likes another character they get them. So I admire John for not just putting them together like he could have. It adds a nice sense of never that I like. As in Pudge can NEVER be with Alaska because the tragic middle of the book doesn't leave room for it, for obvious reasons.

So yeah I really liked it.

I give this book 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment