Wednesday, October 9, 2013

School and Class Rank

There are 152 kids in my senior class. Guess what number I am. I'll give you a second to stop and actually think about it. I asked my co-workers and one of them said, "One?" "Close," I told her. "151," I concluded. Yes folks, I am 151 out of 152. I did good. I have yet to find 152, but a good friend of mine is 150. Bottom three club. I don't really look at it as being the second worst, but the 151st best. I don't understand why people get so worked up about their class rank and GPA (mine is a 1.7). I don't think that actually really reflects my intelligence or work ethic or anything really. Clearly I'm not a stupid kid, I mean, I read (reading is not a sign of intelligence either, I'm just making points that I cant defend). I just don't like school. That doesn't make me a bad person or bad student, I mean all my teachers love me. Even the ones I sass.

Speaking of teachers I sass, my related teacher gets it (not really). So far this year I haven't turned in a single assignment to him. He like gave me a speech about how it was good that I was standing for something. Clearly he is over thinking this. I'm not standing for anything, I just don't feel like doing his work. I have A's and B's in the rest of my extremely easy classes. I love my related teacher, he's a great guy, but I'm not doing college level work if I'm not going to college.

I'm not going to college (you can stop emailing me now, stupid expensive private colleges I don't want to go to). I've never wanted to. I feel like most people go because their parents want them too, or they feel like they have to. I think that's societies fault. Kids are being taught at an early age that the goal is to get to college. Well, for some people that just isn't the case. I'm one of those people. I want to be a writer. I always have. I don't need college for that, I mean it would be helpful, but I don't need it. My mom was heartbroken when I told her I didn't want to go to college. When people ask me where I'm going next year I tell them "I'm not going anywhere," and my mom says, "she's going to be taking some writing classes." Are you paying for those, mom, because I'm not.

I don't think school is teaching kids right. We learn to remember for the test, and then we forget. So we never really learn. And I don't think college is for everyone. If you don't want to go, then don't go. I think it's time for a change in the American education system. And I think it may be time for a change of values. But hey, that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment