Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chase Tinker and the House of Magic by Malia Ann Haberman

Wow. This is one of those books you pick up and aren't really sure what to expect, but by the time you're done you are aching for the next one. The story is fast paced and gets better with every chapter.

This is, without a doubt, a book for middle grade students. However I still found myself really enjoying it. The writing is basic yet somehow very engaging. The book has a take on magic that I've never really seen done before, and I really liked it. I liked it so much that I decided that I was going to read it and completely forget I had school work to do.

What I most enjoyed about this book is the plot. Chase Tinker has the power to move things with his mind. Yes, I know there's a word for that but honestly it's one of the few words that I will never be able to spell. His younger brother Andy Tinker can freeze time. Benjamin Tinker (I'm in love with everybody named Ben), the boys father, is missing and has been for a while now. When the boys grandfather comes to take them away to his magic house for the summer so they can master their powers things get a little crazy. And then you get hit in the face with plot twist after plot, especially at the end. I love all the characters in this, especially Persephone. Even though the characters are little kids, 10/12/13/14, I felt I could really connect with all of them.

Now lets talk about the ending. There are bad endings. There are good endings. Then there are endings like these that you do not expect, that are just so perfect you feel like your world is crashing down on you. The ending is not at all expected and honestly it's really kind of perfect. I would completely recommend this book, not only to middle grade kids but to high school students too. Guys, this one is a winner. Grab your kindle and start reading. This is one you don't want to miss.

Side note: I feel like this is the kind of book that would make a really really really good movie. Someone buy the rights. I demand it.

I give this book four and half stars

No comments:

Post a Comment