Sunday, February 17, 2013

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

I don't know how I feel about this book
I have so many mixed feelings about this book. It's good, but it's also pretty bad. My friend let me borrow this book. Which I'm happy about because yay I have a friend who reads. She was wicked into it, so naturally I also wanted to be wicked into it, but I knew I was in for a bumpy ride after the first page. The writing style is... well ... flat. There is way way too much dialogue. The characters are terrible. The main character, Laurel, is such a mary-sue and it's so in your face obvious.

But I decided to push through it for Lyv. At about page 100 my view began to change. One of the good things I can say about this book is the plot. It's basically about a girl who is like omg why did i suddenly grow a flower on my back, opps I'm in love with two guys at once (that's not cliche at all), and come on mom and dad don't sell the land to that guy he's creepy. Two guys? Team Tamani! But enough of that. There is one character that stands out to me, mostly because I see myself in her. Chelsea, a girl with crazy curly hair, who's blunt, and just completely fabulous. Too bad she's a minor character. What really caught my attention about her is that she's in love David (Laurels other love interest) and even though she loves him she tells Laurel it's okay if she dates him. I did something very similar once. I hope that causes problems between Chelsea and Laurel in the next three books.

 Which brings me to a very important question: Am I going to even read the rest of the series. Probably. I've heard the last book is the best. Maybe Pike's writing will show improvement through the rest of the books.

I give this book two stars

No comments:

Post a Comment