Monday, September 23, 2013

Love Triangles

*Spoilers ahead, sorry not sorry.*

Today I want to discuss Love Triangles. Love triangles have become a major cliche in literature. They probably wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't so predictable.

In almost every triangle there's a pretty girl, a best friend, and a mysterious bad boy. The pretty girl always has to choose one, even though clearly that's ridiculous because there are more guys on the planet than your best friend and the bad boy in like two of your classes. Not to mention, the girl is still in high school. Sorry. I'm in high school and I cant even choose my breakfast without a major malfunction, never mind my future husband. But whatever. The girl always picks the bad boy. It's never the friend. Never ever. Which sucks because sometimes I route for the friend and it's kind of depressing to know that he isn't going to get picked. In the Matched trilogy who does Cassia choose? *Spoiler* Ky. Not Xander, her best friend. Come on now, who didn't see that coming (don't know why I'm complaining, I ship Ky and Cassia). It's the same thing, but a different book.

Some love triangles aren't bad though. Katniss, Peeta, and Gale was a good triangle. When reading it was hard to figure out who Katniss was going to choose. The triangle was never really the main focus of the story either. It was refreshing. What about Witch Eyes. While I don't think we can really consider Braden, Trey, and Drew a love triangle because Drew and Braden are never going to happen, I will anyways. It's not the 'pretty girl meets mystery boy but best friend gets in the way' love triangle we are so used to seeing. We need more love triangles like that. We need books that aren't predictable.

I don't really think love triangles are bad. I think the predictability of them is. If authors would start writing better love triangles I don't think people would complain about them as much. So, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think love triangles can make a good story line if they are unexpected and not typical. Authors should add different twists to them to make their novels stand out more. I think in literature it's more common for the main character to choose the bad boy, but in television/movies, it's more likely for the main character to choose the friend. I enjoy reading about love triangles if they are unpredictable, but if the love triangle is predictable then the chances are the book is going to be predictable as well.

    ReplyDelete